My other project: 1975 GL1000

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

flatlander80

My other project: 1975 GL1000

Postby flatlander80 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I thought I’d share my other project bike here... previously I rebuilt a 1980 CB 650 Custom (and that Bike is still running great... this summer I focused on making 2 1975 Goldwings into one solid bike. Here’s the result...

A little over a month ago, I had it stripped down to nothing more than the frame, engine, swingarm, and wiring harness.

And now, it’s a complete runner. Still working out a few kinks, and haven’t tackled the bodywork yet, but this thing hauls ass. 80mph cruising speed and solid!!

I check in on this forum all the time. It still helps me solve problems on the 650, but there’s a lot of knowledge in these pages that transfers to any motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folsoml

Re: My other project: 1975 GL1000

Postby Folsoml » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 am

These old Honda's do have a lot in common. Although I like the Goldwing, I swore I'd never work on another one. Too much trouble getting all the stuff off. :P

Here is a project I did a few years back. The timing was perfect as the two bikes from which I built the one were listed on craigslist at the same time. One had a blown engine and a title, the other had a working engine but NO title.

This one I literally chopped out of some bushes in Chipley, Fl. It was ugly, but it had a good title. It is a 1980 GL1100.

This one I got the following day in Jacksonville, Fl. 1983 GL1100 with a blown engine and no title.

I tore both bikes down to the bare frame, cleaned them up, and reassembled them on the titled frame using the best parts from both bikes.

The final product:

Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

flatlander80

Re: My other project: 1975 GL1000

Postby flatlander80 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I agree there are a lot of things to take off of these bikes. That’s why I didn’t put too many back on! I like the stock naked goldwing look... I did minimal modifications... flat bar, sportster exhaust, and a few cosmetics (different light, signals, and tail light). I have a hydraulic clutch modification planned, hard saddlebags, and painting the bodywork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Show it off”