Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Get some new gear

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 am

Parting Out....
1983 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk

Just picked this bike up recently from a local pilot. Bike was stored in his hanger. Bike was sold to him without a title, as a running parts bike. He has picked a couple parts off if it for himself, but otherwise it has sat several years. I do not know the history, but it does have 42k miles on it.

Missing the seat, sidecovers, the starter, and maybe a few other little things. Some items in very good condition, while others are not. If you're looking for something specific, lemme know and I'll take a better photo.

Tank appears to have been sealed in the past, but when I popped the fuel cap off, still found it to be rather nasty.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Have been a member here for some time now, and have parted out a LOT of the SOHC CB650 models, but this is my first (only currently only) DOHC CB650. I will answer PM's and posts made here in this thread, but if you have an interest or questions about specific parts, it's usually BEST (and quicker) if you email me directly at witttom@yahoo.com (three T's in w-i-t-t-t-o-m).

I'm willing to take SquareCash, checks, money orders, chickens, goats, magic beans, flux capacitors, other motorcycle stuff, etc. ...or if you're local (I'm in Southwest Ohio, Northwest of Cincinnati) and want to save on shipping costs, you're welcome to pay in cash and pickup. I have taken PayPal for 90% of the parts that I have sold over the past several years (been a PP member for 15+ years) but have been trying to step away from that to avoid PP fees. If you're in a hurry or that is your only option, I'm certainly still willing to accept those payments though. I usually make a couple trips to the Post Office each week, and I'm usually pretty quick about getting parts shipped out. It does occasionally take me a couple days to pull items that are a bit more involved.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

cb650
Posts: 2901
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Denver CO USA
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby cb650 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:59 pm

To bad we wasnt closer. With the one I have we could make a titled runner.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:19 pm

cb650 wrote:To bad we wasnt closer. With the one I have we could make a titled runner.

Believe it or not, if my plans hold out, and I have all my ducks in a row, and the wind is blowing just right, I will be passing through Colorado with a truck and trailer, somewhere around the 20th/21st/22nd (expecting to pickup a bike in Grand Junction on the 20th, or MAYBE the 23rd). With that said though, I already have a fair amount invested in CB650SC, and am counting on parts sales to pay myself back. So selling it as a whole, at what I would consider to be a fair price, kinda defeats the purpose. Hehe.... if you're interested in it as a whole, I would be willing to dabble with the possibilities.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

cb650
Posts: 2901
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Denver CO USA
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby cb650 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:26 am

Im not interested either BUT I just meet a guy at work that has a 84 that needs work. He says he mostly need help with it. What you getting in G/J? My kid lives out there and I need to plan a trip out there to deliver the bike I'm putting together for him. And I need to get a rear end he has for my car.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:24 am

cb650 wrote:What you getting in G/J? My kid lives out there and I need to plan a trip out there to deliver the bike I'm putting together for him. And I need to get a rear end he has for my car.

It's complicated. Hehe... PM sent.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Djmbk1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby Djmbk1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 am

Would you have the rear taillight sub assembly and the rear brake return spring? I can't seem to find them anywhere in eastern PA.

I'd imagine the bike has been pretty much sold already

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:01 am

Djmbk1 wrote:Would you have the rear taillight sub assembly and the rear brake return spring? I can't seem to find them anywhere in eastern PA.

I'd imagine the bike has been pretty much sold already


I've been travelling a LOT since I've acquired this parts bike, and haven't had much of a chance to break it down. I'm pretty sure I have both.

When you say 'sub assembly', are you taking about the bracket, or the bracket plus the tail light base, or everything minus the lens, or what? ;)
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Djmbk1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby Djmbk1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:56 pm

witttom wrote:
Djmbk1 wrote:Would you have the rear taillight sub assembly and the rear brake return spring? I can't seem to find them anywhere in eastern PA.

I'd imagine the bike has been pretty much sold already


I've been travelling a LOT since I've acquired this parts bike, and haven't had much of a chance to break it down. I'm pretty sure I have both.

When you say 'sub assembly', are you taking about the bracket, or the bracket plus the tail light base, or everything minus the lens, or what? ;)


Thanks for the quick reply!

My lens is cracked up all beyond belief (some kids smashed all the turn signals and tail light with hammers) so I need the lens mostly, but the full assembly is what can actually be removed and replaced. If you also have clutch and brake master cylinders I would need those as well, rust is a bitch.

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Djmbk1 wrote:
witttom wrote:
Djmbk1 wrote:Would you have the rear taillight sub assembly and the rear brake return spring? I can't seem to find them anywhere in eastern PA.

I'd imagine the bike has been pretty much sold already


I've been travelling a LOT since I've acquired this parts bike, and haven't had much of a chance to break it down. I'm pretty sure I have both.

When you say 'sub assembly', are you taking about the bracket, or the bracket plus the tail light base, or everything minus the lens, or what? ;)


Thanks for the quick reply!

My lens is cracked up all beyond belief (some kids smashed all the turn signals and tail light with hammers) so I need the lens mostly, but the full assembly is what can actually be removed and replaced. If you also have clutch and brake master cylinders I would need those as well, rust is a bitch.


I have the whole tail light assembly (whatever is needed). I also have the clutch and brake master cylinders, but one lever is gone and the other is snapped off. I believe the master cylinders are mechanically in good shape. I will need to get photos of the cosmetic condition.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Djmbk1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby Djmbk1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:54 am

If the master cylinders aren't that great I won't put you through the trouble of taking photos. As far as the rear brake springs are concerned, I need parts #9 and #14 from here: Parts Fish Assembly

The rear light assembly I could just grab part #4 seen here:
Parts Fish Assembly

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Djmbk1 wrote:If the master cylinders aren't that great I won't put you through the trouble of taking photos.

Not that great, but I took photos anyway. ;)

Image
Image

Image

Djmbk1 wrote:As far as the rear brake springs are concerned, I need parts #9 and #14 from here: Parts Fish Assembly

The rear light assembly I could just grab part #4 seen here:
Parts Fish Assembly


Springs (still intact)....
Image
Image
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Djmbk1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby Djmbk1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:28 am

The master cylinders are unfortunately in worse shape, but I appreciate the pictures. The springs on the other hand couldn't be better! They are exactly what I need.

PM me on how you would like to sell the rear light and springs, I can't wait to have them installed :D

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:23 am

Bought this non-running but titled 83 CB650SC (yes, another one) recently thinking that it MIGHT be a good starter bike for my 15yr/old daughter, but we quickly realized that it was still too tall and too heavy for her. After we decided that it wasn't going to work out, I wanted to sell it before I got sucked into spending too much time with it.

Image

Well... I got sucked in and started working on it, fixing a few little things, and then discovered a pretty big problem that I wasn't prepared to fix. I can no longer in good conscience sell this to someone as an easy fixer-upper, so it looks like I have yet another Nighthawk 650 that I am parting out. I've had multiple people tell me how rare the rear luggage and backrest is. It's the first thing that I was going to list on eBay, but figured I should probably offer up parts here first since I've had such good luck dealing with members here in the past.

Image
Image

No rust in the tank, but the paint is pretty sad. Saddelman/Travelcase seat. Instrument cluster works and showing 16k-miles. I believe everything else works. Was ridden by a retired gentleman. Parked it a couple years ago. Eventually gave it to his son. Son put new plugs in it and tried to start it. I was told 'something wrong with engine'. Thinking it was something minor, I bought it. Discovered last night that the son had put the wrong side plugs in it, and punch a hole in piston #4 the first time he tried to crank it over. Bummer. It is what it is though, which is parts... for you guys. Lemme know if you need anything.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Amreekan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby Amreekan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:43 am

Im kind of late.....but do u still have the luggage rack?
Last edited by Amreekan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
witttom
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Parting Out: CB650SC Nighthawk 1983 DOHC

Postby witttom » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:59 am

Amreekan wrote:Im kind of late.....but do u still have the luggage rack?


PM replied.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Image
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850


Return to “Accessories and Apparel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests